Incident Management Team
The University depends on many interconnected services for the success of the day-to-day operations and has applied that same concept to the management of emergencies by creation of the Incident Management Team (IMT). The University’s IMT provides a framework within which essential units come together to coordinate the response to an emergency. The following represents the Incident Management Team structure:
- The Senior Emergency Management Officer: Will facilitate the review by the Policy Group recommendations made by the IMT to take action that will interrupt academic programs or normal operations, including policy and strategic decisions.
- Incident Commander: Organize and direct Emergency Operations Center (EOC) and give overall direction for University operations, and if needed facilitate evacuation of campus.
- The Emergency Director: Organize and direct all aspects of the EOC and ensure distribution of critical information and data.
- The Emergency Manager: Working with UCPD assess information provided by UCPD on initial field assessment, notify Emergency Director, and serve as Environmental Health and Safety's (EH&S) on-site incident commander.
- Policy Group: Makes major policy, strategic or resource decisions when the academic programs are interrupted or normal business cannot be conducted.
- Advisory Policy Group: Provides information and counsel to the Policy Group to support policy, strategic and resource management decisions during an emergency.
- The Public Information Officer: Oversees communications plan, manages the media center, and provides periodic updates to the media outlets.
- Chief of Police: Organize and enforce scene and facility protection and the movement of critical supplies.
- Finance Officer: Monitor the utilization of financial assets, oversee the acquisition of supplies and services necessary to carry out the University response, and document expenditures relevant to the response.
- Logistics Officer: Organize and direct operations associated with maintenance of the physical environment, transportation, and distribution of supplies to support the incident objectives.
The following list identifies, by title, the representatives from essential departments who comprise the IMT and their backups:
- Vice-President for Administration and Chief Financial Officer; backup, Vice President of Strategic Initiatives, Office of the President.
- Associate Vice President for Safety and Security; backup, Director Environmental Health and Safety.
- Associate Vice-President for Facilities Services; backup, Executive Director, Management Services, Facilities Services.
- Executive Director of Operations, Operations, Facilities Services.
- Chief of the University Police Department (UCPD); backup, First Deputy of the University Police Department.
- Policy Group: President; Provost; Vice-President for Administration and Chief Financial Officer; Vice-President for Strategic Initiatives, Office of the President; Vice President and Secretary of the University; Vice-President for Communications.
- Advisory Policy Group: Vice-President, Civic Engagement, President, Office of the Sr. Lect., The College; Vice-President and General Counsel; and Vice-President for Campus Life and Dean of Students in the University.
- Associate Vice-President and Chief Information Technology Officer; backup, Chief Operating Officer, ITS.
- Vice-President Campus and Student Life and Dean of Students in the University (CSL); backup, Deputy Dean of Students, Asst. Vice President for Student Life, Assoc. Dean of the College.
- Associate Vice-President for University Human Resources Management; backup, Assistant Vice President, Human Resource Management.
- Director of Safety, Environmental Affairs, and Radiation Safety; backup, Associate Director of Safety and Environmental Affairs (OSEA).
- Associate Director of Operations, Biological Sciences Division (BSD); backup, Assistant Dean of Facilities, Biological Sciences Division.
- Associate Dean for Administration, Physical Sciences Division (PSD); backup, Manager of the Research Institutes Building.
- Chief Executive Officer of the University of Chicago Medical Center (UCMC); backup, Director of Security and Support Services, UCMC.
- Associate Vice-President for Risk Management, Audit, and Safety; backup, Director of the Office of Risk Management.
- Vice-President for University Communications; backup, Associate Vice President for University Communications.
- Director of Laboratory Schools; backup, Associate Director of Laboratory Schools.
Among the responsibilities of the essential departments that comprise the IMT is to provide staff for the Emergency Response Team (ERT). Members of the ERT will provide frontline technical coordination of any necessary on-campus response by:
- assuming leadership at the site of the emergency;
- assessing the situation and reporting to the EMT;
- coordinating any required direct response; and
- coordinating campus-based responses with external agencies at the event location.