To ensure that the University’s Emergency Management Plan meets the needs of the organization and the community it serves, the following priorities have been set:
- assistance for injured personnel;
- safety of students, faculty, other academic appointees, staff, visitors, and all others present;
- mitigation of damage, including the safety and protection of research animals;
- communication with University constituencies and downstream customers (e.g., University of Chicago Medical Center); and
- recovery and restoration of academic and research operations.
To achieve these priorities, the following are of critical concern:
- emergency notifications and communications;
- emergency transportation;
- emergency shelter;
- emergency food service;
- emergency power; and
- emergency utility shutoffs and repairs.